Welcome from the director
Welcome to the Compact for Success website. I hope that you will find the information on our website useful to you as we continue to update and improve the information.
As California continues to struggle with its budget woes, public education has endured many cutbacks. Compact for Success remains fully intact and continues to deliver services to our partner schools in the South Bay.
- In spite of diminished resources, more students were enrolled in SDSU due to the guaranteed admission provision that has been a part of our collaboration since 1999.
- In fall 2012, 465 students were enrolled through the guaranteed admission increasing the total number of students admitted in this manner since 2006 to more than 2,100 students.
- SDSU continues to value student diversity and more importantly student success. SDSU has topped the nation in the percentage improvement in 6-year graduation rates for students at public universities.
- It is important to note that we rank 11th in the nation and 4th in California for Latino students who receive their bachelor’s degree.
- In the fall 2012 semester, Latino student enrollment increased to 28.8 % of the total population. From all indications, this percentage will continue to increase over the years to come.
Compact for Success was begun many years ago to improve the graduation rates of the Sweetwater Union High School District and to improve the college-going rates of its graduates. The goal was a daunting one but it has been attained and continues to improve.
I believe that Compact for Success has changed the culture of San Diego's South Bay in many respects for students and their families. San Diego State University pledges to continue to provide the services to students and parents so that we create the next generation of college graduates and our nation’s leaders.
Louis C. Murillo, Ph.D.
Director Compact for Success
Office of Collaborative Programs
San Diego State University