Examples of Social Enterprises
Social Enterprises span a diverse range of industries and also types of business models (for profit, hybrids and non-profits). The list of 10 social enterprises below is a sample to help illustrate the variety of successful social enterprises.
- Recyclebank - rewards people for taking everyday green actions with discounts and deals from local and national businesses.
- Sarvajal - for-profit social enterprise which creates franchises that providing clean drinking water to individuals living on less than $1 / day.
- VerTerra Dinnerware – manufactures stylish, sustainable and compostable disposable dinnerware made from banana leafs.
- PhilanTech – an online grants management system: an online grant proposal, reporting and management system that enhances accountability, transparency, and efficiency.
- climatesmart - trains businesses and provides them with software tools to track and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
- x-runner Venture - provides waterless toilets and waste management services to families that do not have standard toilets.
- Emerge financial wellness – a workplace-based financial wellness program that partners with employers to help their workers plan their financial futures.
- Project Repat - upcycles t-shirts into more fun and fashionable clothing accessories while creating jobs for disadvantaged populations.
- Social Good Network – uses software to create and measure the success of digital cause marketing campaigns for brands.
- Yellow Leaf Hammocks - a mission-driven, market-based social enterprise dedicated to supporting high-wage weaving jobs for artisans in the hill tribe communities of rural northern Thailand.
Social Enterprises in the ZIP Launchpad
We believe that there is considerable overlap in the skills and business acumen needed by both traditional and social entrepreneurs. As such, the social enterprises that are admitted into the ZIP Launchpad follow the same 180 day program with milestones and deliverables as traditional for-profit enterprises. However, in certain instances, social enterprises have added deliverables to understand and quantify impact measures.
Art Without A Roof is an example of one social enterprise in the ZIP Launchpad.