Important Move-out Information 2016
Finals begin on Thursday, May 5th and end on Thursday, May 12th. All halls close for the academic year on Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:00 am. Please keep this in mind when making travel arrangements. Be sure to attend your move-out floor meeting as scheduled by your Residential Education staff. We recommend that all students attend for information on check out.
The Student Housing License Agreement states that you are to move out by 8:00 p.m. on the day of your LAST final, or 10:00 a.m. on Friday, May 13th, whichever comes first. Please keep this in mind when making travel arrangements. Click here to let us know when you plan to leave. This will help us plan staffing appropriately.
Be sure to attend your move-out floor meeting as scheduled by your Residential Education staff. We recommend that all students attend for information on check out. Also, please participate in the annual Give It Up donation drive. Donate any non-perishable food items and usable goods that you are not taking with you. Learn more about the Give It Up campaign on our webpage.
How to Check Out of Your Room/Suite/Apartment
Click on your hall below for specific procedures on how to check out of and properly clean your room, rearrange your furniture and more.
Please remember that all parking regulations remain in effect during closing and move-out periods. This includes restrictions for fire lanes, 15 minute loading zones and handicapped spaces. Anyone using these areas as loading zones will be ticketed. Regulations apply to all vehicles, including faculty, staff, paraprofessional staff members, desk staff, residents, students, families and others.
Preparing for Move-out
At the end of the academic year residents have the option of completing a Standard Check-out, as described below, or an Express Check-out. Either can be a simple process, if you plan ahead. Review the information about the Standard and Express Check-outs on the move-out webpage and decide which option is best for you.
Before you check out of your room/suite/apartment:
1. Pack up all of your belongings and have them OUT OF THE ROOM/SUITE/APARTMENT.
2. Be that sure all furniture is in the room and properly arranged/assembled (see the floor plan), and that the pillow, bed pad and blanket are present (leave in room). Be sure if your furniture was bunked that it has been returned to its original bunked position.
WHAT NOT TO DO
You will NOT BE CHECKED OUT and will be charged for an improper checkout if:
1. YOUR BELONGINGS ARE NOT OUT OF THE ROOM/SUITE/APARTMENT;
2. YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED CLEANING THE ROOM/SUITE/APARTMENT; OR
3. ALL FURNITURE IS NOT IN ITS PROPER PLACE.
Note that a hold-over fee will be assessed for every hour you are vacating your space after 10:00 a.m. on Friday, May 13th so it is important to completely check-out and move out before then.
SOME OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
• IF YOU HAVE CARPET IN YOUR ROOM, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR REMOVING IT BEFORE YOU WILL BE CHECKED OUT.
• REMEMBER THAT CARPETS WILL NOT FIT DOWN THE TRASH CHUTES!!
• Carpets should be placed in the large dumpsters in front of buildings.
• If you have a key for the BIKE BARN turn the key into the Office of Housing Administration before you leave or you will be charged for the key replacement.
• If you have a vertical bike locker at Villa Alvarado, be sure to remove your lock.
• We will only forward first class mail.
• Update your address in your SDSU WebPortal.
• Cancel/forward newspaper and magazine subscriptions
4. GIVE IT UP!
• DAV donation collection bins are at each campus housing facility. As you are cleaning out your room, if you have anything to donate, please put it in the bin.
• San Diego Food Bank collection bins are at each campus housing facility. If you have any non-perishable food items to donate please put them in the red bins.
• Every donation helps! Thank you!