The first week of classes features a variety of events for new and returning students.
Students and their families meet at Hepner Hall following the band run en route to New Student and Family Convocation at Viejas Arena.
Welcome Week 2011
Students enjoy some fiery entertainment following the Templo del Sol ceremony at Hepner Hall.
Please Wait... loadig...
While Monday was the first day of the fall semester, it’s already been a busy week for SDSU students.
Joining the Aztec family
On Saturday, new students started their SDSU careers at New Student and Family Convocation at Viejas Arena. The event started with the band run, where students and their families are led across campus by members of the SDSU marching band and cheerleaders.
At New Student and Family Convocation, new students and their families are welcomed into the Aztec family and introduced to President Eliott Hirshman, Provost Nancy Marlin and Vice President for Student Affairs James Kitchen. After the event, students say farewell for their parents as they embark on a new chapter in their lives.
Incoming freshmen and transfer students were welcomed into the Aztec family at the third annual Templo del Sol on Friday night following move-in. During the ceremony, students walked through the arches of Hepner Hall, enjoyed entertainment and met other Aztecs, including fellow students and alumni.
Welcome Week activities are sponsored and coordinated by the Division of Student Affairs and are part of SDSU's array of new student programs designed to promote student retention and learning.
Other activities this weekend included:
- Red and Black Welcome Back Dance at Hepner Hall
- Aztec Football Swarm and BBQ, where students met SDSU football players and enjoyed a free lunch
- Day at the Bay, a day of fun in the sun at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center
- ARC till Dark, where students enjoyed free pizza and learned about recreation activities available at the Aztec Recreation Center
- Screen on the Green, a free screening of “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” on Aztec Green
More Welcome Week activities
Welcome Week activities extend through Saturday. For more information about Welcome Week events, visit www.sa.sdsu.edu/welcomeweek. Additional events include:
- Aztec Bash at State, a free barbecue hosted by Vice President Kitchen, and the Student Involvement Expo on Tuesday, Aug.30, on Centennial Walkway
- Associated Students Day, Greek Life Expo and EOP Fun and Games on Wednesday, Aug. 31, at various campus locations
- Career Services Lounge and the Campus Carnival on Thursday, Sept. 1, at various campus locations
- Pool party at the Aztec Aquaplex and Comedy Explosion at Peterson Gym on Friday, Sept. 2
- Aztecs vs. Cal Poly football game on Saturday, Sept. 3, at Qualcomm Stadium
- Welcome Week mixers throughout the week at various campus locations
Additional Aztec Nights events take place through September. For more information on Aztec Nights, visit www.aztecnights.com.