The Campaign for SDSU has raised nearly $320 million.
The campaign is riding a wave of momentum toward its $500 million goal.
The Campaign for SDSU — the first universitywide fundraising campaign — has raised nearly $320 million less than a year after its public launch and is riding a wave of momentum toward its $500 million goal.
The $320 million — an average of $1.25 million in donations per week — is only one way to measure the campaign’s accomplishments since its first steps in 2007.
“The $500 million is a bold goal, but this campaign is about more than dollars,” said SDSU President Elliot Hirshman. “It is about the academic excellence, life-changing research, community engagement and innovative spirit that define a leading public university.”
In these ways, The Campaign for SDSU’s 38,000 donors are already transforming the university:
- The campaign raised $153 million for academic programs and the university library as of May 31.
- Gifts to support faculty total $95 million.
- Donors have pledged $41 million to Fuel Potential, the campaign’s scholarship initiative. A new effort focuses on scholarships for the “best and brightest” local students.
- The physical campus has changed with the buildout of the Donald P. Shiley BioScience Center, construction of the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center, and remodeling at the Joan and Irwin Jacobs KPBS News Center.
- Donors have supported SDSU with more than 50 gifts of $1 million and above.
Thirteen significant campaign developments are reshaping SDSU even as The Campaign for SDSU continues. (Find out more in a multimedia presentation, "13 Game-Changers in The Campaign for SDSU.")
“We have accomplished a lot during these first five years of The Campaign for SDSU,” said Kit Sickels, chairman of The Campanile Foundation’s Board of Trustees. “We are grateful for the commitments from so many people to support San Diego State.”
Hirshman said the campaign helps build the university’s long-term path to success by creating financial stability; fueling student success, research and other SDSU strengths; and energizing our alumni network.
“Moving forward with purpose is the essence of The Campaign for SDSU,” Hirshman said. “We are at a pivotal moment in SDSU’s history. Our generous alumni and community supporters have embraced the vision of San Diego State University as a leading public university, and philanthropy has never been more important. As we move into the final phase of The Campaign for SDSU, it’s vital that we educate others about the campaign and the exciting developments at SDSU.”
The Campaign for SDSU is moving the university forward with strategic investments in people and programs.