In light of recent criminal activity, the SDSU Police Department offers specific precautions.
In light of recent criminal activity, the SDSU Police Department would like to offer the following specific reminders to our community:
- Remain aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid becoming distracted by the use of cell phones/text messages.
- Do not give your cell phone to strangers.
- If you see anything suspicious, or are the victim of a crime, contact the SDSU Police Department immediately by dialing 911.
In addition, the following safety message was sent at the beginning of the semester and provides resources for our community.
We continue to investigate those incidents that have occurred on and around our campus and are working with allied agencies and organizations on campus to maintain the effectiveness of our academic process.
Fall 2012 Safety Message
The San Diego State University Police Department would like to welcome everyone to the Fall 2012 Semester. We depend on each and every member of the university community to take an active role in their safety and security by following a few simple precautions.
- Remember to lock your car and secure all valuables out of sight. If you have security devices for your vehicle (i.e., clubs, alarms or vehicle immobilizers), use them.
- When you leave your apartments or your rooms, lock your doors and windows.
- Do not leave personal items of value unattended anywhere on campus.
- Pay attention to your surroundings; avoid distractions. Immediately report any suspicious activity to the University Police Department (when in doubt, call 911 for all emergencies or 619-594-1991 for non-emergency police services).
- Use the “buddy system” and look out for each other. Safety escorts are available dusk to dawn to and from any campus location. To use this service, call 619-594-6659.
- To obtain police, fire or emergency medical services, dial 911 from your cell phone, any campus phone, or activate any “Blue Light” Emergency Duress Phone. Our 24-hour Non-Emergency phone number is 619-594-1991.
- The University has initiated a mass notification system to keep you safe and informed in the event of a campus emergency. Please go to the university website at http://bfa.sdsu.edu/emergency/ to familiarize yourself with our emergency procedures. If you have not registered for the SDSU
- The Campus Safety and Security report and The Annual Fire Safety report are published by the University Police Department, in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act. The full text of these reports can be located on our website at www.police.sdsu.edu. This report is prepared in cooperation with local law enforcement agencies which surround our main campus, remote campus sites, Residential Education, the Judicial Affairs Office, the Division of Business Affairs and the Division of Student Affairs.
- Your University Police Department is located in the Public Safety Building at the intersection of 55th Street and Remington Road, across from the Aztec Recreation Center. Our lobby is open from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. The police department is operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Parking Office and Key Issue Office are also housed in the Public Safety Building. Please note their telephone numbers — Parking Office: 619-594-6671 and Key Issue: 619-594-1992 — should you require those services.
We take pride in delivering superior law enforcement services to the campus community and look forward to a successful and productive academic year!
Please visit our website at www.police.sdsu.edu for further information about the
Department, safety tips, RAD Training, Child Safety Seat Inspections, Active Shooter Response/Violent Intruder Training, community alerts and crime statistics.