SDSU student groups host intimate cultural graduation ceremonies.
Cultural graduation ceremonies celebrate diversity and allow graduates to have a more personal experience.
Graduating senior Patty Pacheco is looking forward to walking across the stage with her parents at her side—not at Viejas Arena, where the university commencement is held, but in a much smaller, more intimate venue.
She, along with about 50 others will be participating in “Raices Unidas,” one of several SDSU cultural graduation celebrations.
Hosted by various groups and student organizations, these events are designed to provide more intimate settings to celebrate accomplishments and allow graduates to speak to close family and friends.
Pacheco, an international security and conflict resolution major, says the event means a lot to her, not only because she is the first woman in her family to earn a four year college degree, but also because she has the opportunity to share that accomplishment with everyone who has supported her over the years.
“I am very close to my entire family, and you can’t just invite everyone to your graduation,” Pacheco said. “The fact that this event allows my advisors, friends and family to all be there for me means a lot.”
These events, though not designed to replace the general commencement, are a celebration of the rich diversity of the SDSU community.
"These graduations are significant for our entire campus,” said Aaron Bruce, SDSU’s chief diversity officer. “They celebrate family, friends, community and culture and represent for many students the beginning of a new chapter in their lives.”
Everyone is welcome to attend and participate in the celebrations.
- Black Baccalaureate Graduation Ceremony: 7 p.m., Thursday, May 16, Lincoln High School Theater
- Filipino Graduation: 6 p.m., Thursday, May 16, Tula Hall
- American Indian Graduation Celebration: 5:30 p.m., Friday, May 3, Sycuan Resort
- Raices Unidas - Family Graduation Celebration: 7 p.m., Saturday, May 18, Aztec Recreation Center Courts
- Cultural Competency Certificate Graduation: 4:30 p.m., Thursday, April 30 at Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center
For more information on cultural graduation ceremonies visit the website.