For an easier and less stressful commute on the first day of the spring semester, SDSU offers the following traffic tips to those coming to campus Thursday:
- Arrive Early: If you choose to drive, arrive as early as possible, especially for classes before noon.
- Take the Trolley: Park your car for free at any of the convenient trolley stops throughout San Diego and ride directly to campus. Trolley schedules, fares, maps and other information are available at www.sdcommute.com.
- Use Alternative Traffic Routes: During peak hours from 7:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., consider using these alternatives to the College Avenue exit off Interstate 8:
- From Interstate 8, take the 70th Street exit south to El Cajon Boulevard; turn right onto El Cajon Boulevard and right onto Montezuma Road to the access roads for Parking Structures 3 and 6.
- Use State Route 94 and exit at College Avenue. Take College Avenue north to Montezuma Road and turn right or left, depending on your destination.
- From Interstate 8, take the Fairmount Avenue exit. Take Fairmount Avenue south to merge onto Montezuma Road. Turn left on 55th Street to access the west side parking lots.
- Plan Ahead: Plan your trip to campus ahead of time in order to make the fewest trips to and from campus. If driving, figure out which lot and traffic route will be the most timely and convenient. Examine the trolley schedule for the best departure time.
- Park on the East Side of Campus: If arriving on campus after 8 a.m. during the first weeks of the fall semester, park east of College Avenue in Lot C or D or in Parking Structure 3 or 6.
- Ride the Bus: The street-level bus plaza above the San Diego State trolley stop is served by Metropolitan Transit Service bus routes 11, 15, 115, 856, 936 and 955. Discounted transit passes are available at the Aztec Center ticket office. For more information, call 1-800-COMMUTE.
- Park and Pedal: Park off-campus and bike to SDSU. The bike ride from El Cajon Boulevard toward Montezuma Road is approximately one mile on level streets. City streets immediately surrounding the campus are designated “B” parking zones and require a city-issued permit.
- Use the Campus Saftey Escort Service: The Campus Escort Service is available seven days a week from dusk to dawn, and can be accessed from all campus locations, and residence halls. Students, faculty and staff can take advantage of this free service by calling 619-594-6659. A department employee will meet you within approximately 15 minutes to escort you to your destination. There is no charge to dial from a campus pay phone or campus emergency phone.
- Use the Free SDSU Red/Black Shuttle: The campus loop shuttle vans run Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m.- 10 p.m. along a one-way, 11-stop route providing access to several peripheral parking lots when classes are in session
- Use the Library Shuttle: The shuttle runs from Sunday through Thursday from 11 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. from the sundial to on-campus locations when classes are in session.
San Diego State will once again implement a comprehensive traffic management plan to assist faculty, staff and students with traffic flow, directions and parking. More information is available online.
Through the Spring 2013 semester, a sewer line construction project may affect evening traffic along Canyon Crest Dr. on the northern edge of the SDSU campus near parking Lot X.
After 8 p.m. each day, the two lane Canyon Crest Dr. will turn into one lane of traffic with traffic control personnel directing vehicle activity. Both lanes of traffic will be opened after 5 a.m. each following morning. Special considerations have been arranged for Viejas Arena and other large venue events.