Elisabeth Stephens is currently working toward a master's degree in computational linguistics. Her passion for the field drove her to attend San Diego State University after serving in the United States Air Force.
1. Why did you choose SDSU?
I chose SDSU because of the master’s program I was interested in. My undergraduate advisor was familiar with the program and suggested I would get more information considering the fact that only a few schools in the United States offered a computational linguistics program.
2. What inspired you to declare your major?
My strong interest in computational linguistics. I received my bachelor's from Rome University and really enjoyed both the computational and linguistic sides so I decided to further my education in these fields.
3. What is the best piece of advice you ever received?
Work hard and do not stop until you have reached your goal, because hard work always pays off.
4. What are your future goals?
Become a United States Air Force officer and one day start a family.
5. What is the first website you look at every day?
6. What experience at SDSU has changed your life the most?
Working on a project for one of my linguistics classes with Eniko Csomay. She was very passionate and I really appreciated the time and effort she put into every single lecture. She loves what she does and I believe studying and working in the career field you love is by far one of the most rewarding things.
7. What is the most interesting or surprising thing about you?
I was born in Italy. My father was in the Navy so we traveled a lot and lived in Europe when I was young. I was fortunate to meet people from different parts of the world who I am still in contact with.
1. What was the last movie you saw? Thumbs up or down?
"Oblivion." Definitely thumbs up if you like sci-fi.
2. What city would you like to visit or visit again?
I would like to visit Barcelona again. I really enjoyed the culture, the art, the food and the people. It was certainly an incredible experience. Spain is a wonderful country.
3. What kind of music do you listen to/what are your favorite bands?
I mainly listen to R&B, but I appreciate listening to different genres. It really depends on the activity, atmosphere, company or location. My favorite bands are Xscape and Destiny’s Child.
Read more 7 Things profiles