San Diego State University has been named one of the nation’s top graduate schools for Hispanics, according to the April 2016 edition of the Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education.
Besting thousands of graduate schools across the nation, SDSU ranked No. 14 for the number of masters degrees granted to Hispanics with a total of 1,746.
“SDSU is excited to be among the leaders in graduate degrees awarded to Hispanic students across the country," said Aaron Bruce, SDSU's Chief Diversity Officer. "As a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), we are pleased to play an important role in educating the fastest growing segment of the U.S. population. The contributions of our graduates will be important to research, to our society and the regional, national and global economies."
This is the first time that SDSU has been included in Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education’s annual index of the Top 25 Graduate Schools for Hispanics, which is compiled from Department of Education lists, including total graduate degrees granted and graduate student enrollment.
SDSU was ranked No. 11 in the nation and No. 4 in California for bachelor’s degrees awarded to Hispanics, according to the May 2012 Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education.
According to Bruce, SDSU is dedicated to ensuring equal access to higher education for students of all backgrounds.
SDSU’s diversity-related achievements and programs include other top rankings:
- 2nd in the nation for graduating multiracial students in Public Administration and Social Service professions. (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Top 6 in the country for ethnic diversity among national universities (US News and World Report)
- 6th in the nation for graduating Hispanic students majoring in English/Language and Literature (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- 4.5 out of 5 Star Rating for LGBT friendly campuses. (Campus Pride)
- 6th in the nation for graduating Asian American students in Public Administration and Social Service professions. (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- 8th in the nation for graduating multiracial students in Business Administration, Management and Operations (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Best Colleges for Veterans 2015 (Military Times)
- Best Business Schools for Veterans 2014 (Military Times)
- Top 200 College for Native Americans (Winds of Change Magazine)
- Best of the Best MBA Schools for Women 2014 (Professional Business Women's Magazine)