Aztec Shops at San Diego State University just achieved several significant distinctions in the world of sustainable foodservice.
- First Café in a Convenience Store to become a Certified Green Restaurant®
- First Chipotle Mexican Grill in the World to become a Certified Green Restaurant®
- First Habit Burger Grill in the World to become a Certified Green Restaurant®
“Sustainability is a top priority for SDSU,” said Duane Buske, Aztec Shops senior general manager of purchasing and distribution. “Partnering with the GRA keeps our operations in alignment both with the vision of campus and Aztec Shops as a whole.”
Last year, SDSU led with more firsts:
- First campus to require all of its tenants to meet the Certified Green Restaurant® environmental standards
- Most stadiums/arenas with Certified Green Restaurants® of any campus in the world
Twenty-three SDSU foodservice entities have met the 2 Star Certified Green Restaurant® standards and have implemented a total of 841 environmental steps.
“From Chipotle and Market Fresh to Starbucks and the Open Air Theatre & Viejas Arena, San Diego State University has increased its already great leadership in integrating Green Restaurant® practices throughout the campus”, said Michael Oshman, CEO and founder of the Green Restaurant Association. “If every institution of higher learning took the comprehensive steps that SDSU has, our world would be a step closer towards its sustainable goals.”