History and Leadership
The Campanile Foundation incorporated as a philanthropic tax-exempt foundation [a 501(c)(3) corporation] and an official auxiliary of San Diego State in August 1999. The foundation plays an important role in SDSU's long-term strategy and institutional commitment to increase private funding.
To accomplish this goal, The Campanile Foundation and the SDSU Research Foundation have created an operating alliance to implement this philanthropic strategy in the most effective manner. The Campanile Foundation outsources its accounting and account administration functions to the SDSU Research Foundation to prevent the duplication of existing services and expertise that could lead to increases in the cost of administering gifts.
Mary Ruth Carleton
President and CEO of The Campanile Foundation, and Vice President for University Relations and Development, says, "Building private support, particularly our endowment, provides a strong underpinning for the future and will assist SDSU in achieving its vision as a top 10 urban research university, one that is engaged locally for global impact."
Providing leadership to The Campanile Foundation is a Board of Directors made up of highly qualified civic and business leaders, most of whom are San Diego State alumni, who give their personal expertise, time and treasure to support SDSU. Jack McGrory is the current chairman.
History of the Campanile
The Foundation takes its name from the landmark tower or campanile on the northwest corner of the original campus quad completed in 1931. Though reminiscent of a Mediterranean church tower, it did not hold bells originally,but was used to camouflage a 5,000-gallon water tank. In 1946, Senator and Mrs. Ed Fletcher donated chimes to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the university and memorialize all SDSU students lost in war. The tower became known as Hardy Tower in 1976, when the Board of Directors renamed it to honor SDSU's second president Edward L. Hardy. More recent gifts from Bernard and Dorris Lipinsky and the SDSU Retiement Association completed the expansion of the carillon, whose daily ringing reverberates across campus as a reminder of SDSU's proud history.