Skip To Content

School of Teacher Education

School of Teacher Education

Liberal Studies
SDSU Liberal Studies

International Experience

2020 Study Abroad Suspensions

Please read the following letter to the SDSU community regarding 2020 study abroad programs: Suspension of Fall 2020 International Exchange Programs

Liberal Studies has over 10 programs of study, while SDSU offers hundreds. Financing is available to help you fund your international adventure. Start planning early!

International Experience Requirement for Liberal Studies

Image of world map and airplane

SDSU and the Liberal Studies Program recognize that student participation in approved international experiences is a transformational educational experience. Toward that goal, the Liberal Studies major includes an International Experience requirement.

International Experience Options

Consider your goals and explore the various options for an amazing international experience:

  • Year-long study abroad
  • Semester abroad
  • Summer programs (2-8 weeks)
  • Spring break programs (9-10 days)

See International Experience Options.

Upcoming Planned Trips for 2018

Photo: Little girls of Ecuador

Liberal Studies students will enjoy spring break trips to Central and South America, as well as summer in Granada, Spain.

Steps to Your International Experience

Follow the steps needed to arrange and finance your International Experience, from creating a profile in Aztecs Abroad to seeing an advisor, getting a passport, choosing your program and destination, and more.

See Steps to Study Abroad.

Contact an Advisor

Email to ask questions and discuss the best option for you.

International Experience Alumni

Liberal Studies majors: Have you returned from a trip abroad? Do you have stories to tell and photos to share?  Visit our International Experience Alumni page!

Photo: 3 students abroad pose in front of architectural site

Photo Albums

View a range of photos from international trips taken by Liberal Studies students and professors.


Photo: group of children with flowers

Q: Traveling abroad would be unsafe for me. Whom do I contact about seeking an alternative experience?

A: The LS program requires all students to complete an International Experience. There are no exceptions to this requirement. That stated, we do make accommodations for students who have verifiable and documented proof that traveling abroad will cause harm; examples are DACA and medical conditions.

In such cases, the risks of traveling abroad are greater than the benefits. Some students will complete alternative experiences in local communities. If you feel that you may meet eligibility conditions for the alternative experience, contact Dr. Loh-Hagan. (Examples that do not meet the eligibility conditions are childcare, financial duress, fear of traveling, etc.)

School of Teacher Education

Front Desk (EBA 255) | 619-594-6131