Content Skip to content.
San Diego State University

Project CORE

Project CORE Program FAQs

Course and Program Specific

DLE Master's Degree Program in Curriculum Development with a specialization in Critical Literacy & Social Justice

Dual Language or ELD Certificate Program 

Application and Admission 

Stipend and Financial Aid

Course and Program Specific

DLE Master's Degree Program in Curriculum Development with a specialization in Critical Literacy & Social Justice

How will this program help me be a better educator?

The DLE MA Program provides teachers and those in the education profession with skills to transform current school programs from a social equity and social justice perspective. The program is designed to:

  • Develop school-wide curriculum change focused on critical literacy, aligned with current standards (e.g., Common Core) and accessible to all students. 
  • Integrate language, culture, and codes of power as part of the development of school programs.
  • Examine curriculum from a constructivist perspective that recognizes the voices of students, community and teachers as one learning community who inform curriculum and program design.
  • Introduce participants to the concepts and the authors of critical pedagogy; a theory of education that gives professionals the opportunity to reflect on their own educational beliefs, practices, and processes in the context of standard curriculum, high stakes testing, and curriculum reform.
  • Gives teachers the voice and tools to reflect upon their teaching methodology vis-a-vis their students’ language development and critical thinking;
  • Promote equality and social justice through action research within the school and community.

Attention to and strategies for working with English Learners are embedded throughout the courses.


How long will it take to complete the program?

The MA program is 30 units and can be completed in about 5 semesters. The last semester will involve completing a research project.

What courses will I be taking?

The courses you take depend on which option you select and the current class schedule. The Programs of Study for the two options are available at the following link:

Are the courses available online?

The MA courses are currently classroom-based although many professors in the department are offering some of the coursework online to reduce the number of class meetings. The exception is DLE 604 which is offered online through the College of Extended Studies (CES). CES courses are not included in your regular fees and must be paid seperately.

What qualities are Project CORE and DLE looking for in an applicant?

We are looking for candidates who are passionate about Dual Language and English Learner Education. Our students will be required to reflect on their current practice and conduct action research to benefit their students and school community so a positive attitude toward lifelong learning is a must. We're also looking for teachers who excel at working collaboratively with their colleagues.

Applicants to the Project CORE Certificate Stipend must have a gpa of 3.0 or higher


Dual Language or ELD Certificate Program

How will this program make me a better educator?

English Language Development for Academic Literacy Certificate: This certificate program provides K-12 teachers and other education professionals with specialized preparation for developing academic literacy assessment, curriculum, and teaching methods specifically designed to meet the needs of English Language Learners (ELLs). 

Dual Language Certificate: The purpose of this certificate program is to provide, K-12 teachers and other education professionals with specialized course work in Dual Language programming. This construct provides instruction in two languages and is aimed for students to develop competencies in bilingualism, biliteracy and biculturalism/ multiculturalism. 

How long will it take to complete the program?

The certificate program is 12 units and can be completed in a year if courses are taken via College of Extended Studies (CES). The four Certificate courses can be completed in two semesters or spread out over four semesters.

Can I take the classes online?

Yes! We are very excited to offer all of the Certificate courses online this year via CES (College of Extended Studies).

Can I apply these classes to a Master’s Degree?

All certicficate courses are included in the options for the DLE Master's Degree Program in Curriculum Development with a specialization in Critical Literacy & Social Justice. However, SDSU allows only 9 units of course work to be transferred from CES (College of Extended Studies) to stateside programs. To find out if the certificate coursework would apply in another school or department, you would have to communicate directly with that department. 




Application and Admission

Where do I apply and when are the application deadlines?
New MA cohorts open every fall. New certificate cohorts open every semester (both fall and spring). You must submit two applications, a CSU application and a Supplemental Department Application. Click on the links below to access the applications.

Cal State Apply App (Everyone completes this application) 

  • Fall applications open: October 1-March 1
  • Spring applications (certificate only):  August 1-November 1

Supplementary Program App 

MA and Credential Supplementary Program App 
  • Fall Deadline: March 15 (but CSU application must be submitted by March 1) 

What are the requirements for admission?



  • 2.85 GPA (Overall or in last 60 units) 
  • International graduate applicants must also have:
  • Must submit GRE Scores
  • 2 letters of recommendation
  • 500 word Statement of Purpose (Okay to use same essay for CSU and department applications)
  • Official transcript from degree and credential - granting institutions
  • Entrance Interview (scheduled in March/April)
  • Sign a letter of commitment to complete the Masters program
  • Submit your intent to enroll fee by the deadline posted on Web Portal (usually early May or June)


  • Currently hold a CA teaching or administrative credential
-Exception available for non-credentialed teachers interested in the ELD certificate.
-Bilingual credential required for teachers seeking Dual Language Certificate.
  • One letter of recommendation from a school principal or supervisor
  • 500-800 word Statement of Purpose
  • Official transcript from credential - granting institution (3.0 minimum GPA in graduate work)
  • Sign a letter of commitment to complete the Certificate program

Can I apply to the MA and a Certificate Program concurrently?

Yes. Apply to MA first. If you are concurrently enrolling in the Dual Language (DL) or English Language Development (ELD) certificate, there is one extra step to follow. You will need to download a “Request for permission to enter an advanced certificate program,” fill it out, and send to the DLE graduate advisor, Dr. Tamara Collins-Parks ( to be signed and forwarded to the graduate division. This makes sure that you are properly recorded as being in both the MA and certificate programs.

Forms can be found at:

What if I am accepted now, but need to defer for personal reasons?

Please talk to your advisor as soon as possible if you need to defer. You may need to reapply to Cal State Apply application upon your return.

How do I submit letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation should be requested electronically, as part of the supplemental department application process.

Tip: ask for more recommendations than you need and check back often as not everyone submits on time!

I applied for the Masters program in a different department so I am starting a new application for the dual-language certificate. Do I still need to pay the $55 fee? 


I am a current or former SDSU student. Do you still need my transcripts?

You do not need to submit SDSU transcripts. You only need to submit additional transcripts for coursework that was completed after your time at SDSU. The transcripts sent in with your original application and coursework while at SDSU are all on file. Exception: if you graduated more than 5 years ago, your transcripts from outside institutions will have been purged and only the SDSU transcripts will remain. In that case you will need to make sure new transcripts are sent from the outside institutions. 

I applied to the wrong program. How can I amend my application?

If you applied to the wrong program, please contact Graduate Admissions at 619-594-6336, as soon as possible to amend your application.

Can I use the same Statement of Purpose for the CSU application and the Supplementary Application?

Yes. There is no need to write a separate Statement of Purpose. On the Cal State Apply application write in "see department application".



Stipend and Financial Aid

What are the requirements to receive a stipend?

In-Service Requirements for M.A.

  • Need to complete 30 units at San Diego State University College of Education. 
  • Complete the coursework with a 3.5 GPA with no grade less than a B in any course.  
  • Complete all program coursework and surveys in a timely manner 
Note: $2000 will be paid at the end of the first academic year (minimum of 12 completed units). The second payment of $2,000 will be made upon completion of all program requirements. 

In-Service Requirements for Certificate (DL or ELD)

  • Complete the coursework (4 classes) with a 3.5 GPA with no grade less than a B in any course.  
    • DLE 600B Foundations of Dual Language Program 
    • DLE 650 – Curriculum for Development for Urban School Communities 
    • DLE 553 – Language Assessment and Development 
    • DLE 604 (DL only) – Learning and Teaching in Dual Language Setting 
    • DLE 651 (ELD only) – Curriculum Teaching and Assessment 
  • Attend 3 Educational Conferences during the academic year 
  • Complete all program coursework and surveys in a timely manner  

Pre-Service Requirements: 

  • Attend six all-day professional development institutes.  
  • Complete all program coursework and surveys in a timely manner 
  • Complete all coursework required by the bilingual authorization teaching credential program through the Department of Dual Language and English Learner 


How much does the program cost? Is Financial Aid available?

For information about the cost of the MA program and Financial Aid, check out the SDSU Admissions website:  

The cost of the Certificate Program is currently $801 per class for four classes. Unfortunately, Financial Aid is not available for Certificate Programs.

When will I receive my stipend?

In-Service Certificate stipends will be disbursed in 2 parts: after completing the first 2 courses and upon completion of all program requirements ($3,000 total).

In-Service Masters stipends will be disbursed in 2 parts to participants who entered in 2014: after completing the first 12-15 units and upon completion of all program requirements ($4,000 total).

Pre-service stipends will be disbursed upon completion of all program requirements ($1,000 total). Stipend is not dependent upon RICA.

Note: All cohorts must complete requirements before the grant ends in Spring 2016. (Extension through Fall 2016 available under special circumstances. Petition CORE if needed.)


Contact Us

Administrative Assistant: Carolyn Saldivar
Phone: 619-594-1836
Office: NE 83A
Address: College of Education
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1152