Skip To Content



Maintaining your visa status.

Concurrent Enrollment

F-1 and J-1 degree-seeking students are allowed to enroll concurrently at more than one academic institution provided the combined enrollment equals a full course of study.

Other academic institutions

SDSU students on concurrent enrollment usually attend local community colleges. The other institution must be authorized by DHS to issue an I-20 or DS-2019 Form.


Your coursework at the other institution must be acceptable toward your degree, and the other institution must be authorized by DHS to issue an I-20 or DS-2019 Form. The majority of the coursework for each semester should be taken at SDSU, and the total number of units at SDSU must be greater than the total units at the other institution. Please keep in mind that a maximum of 3 units total of online classes can be taken toward a full course course of study. 

How to enroll at another institution

You will need a letter from the ISC to enroll at the college. To be issued the letter, complete the online request for an Authorization to Take Additional Courses ouside of SDSU. Your letter will be issued to you by email within 7 business days.

Requesting Authorization for Concurrent Enrollment

If you will be under-enrolled at SDSU (less than 12 units for undergraduate students and 9 units for graduate students) while taking classes at another academic institution, you must complete a Concurrent Enrollment Authorization Request. Students are responsible for discussing with their academic advisors to determine credits earned at the other school will be counted toward your degree at SDSU. Our office is not liable for any credits that do not transfer to SDSU. Our office is solely responsible for authorization of maintaining your immigration status while taking courses at another institution.