Content Skip to content.
San Diego State University

SDSU Division of Student Affairs

Problem to solve? Get help here.

The Division of Student Affairs houses several offices whose function is to assist students and others to resolve a variety of issues:


  • The Office of the Ombudsman acts as a confidential, independent mediator, and a neutral resource for students. They'll help you resolve problems — at the most informal level possible — involving grade appeals, discrimination, financial aid issues, and more. The Ombudsman can help you identify university procedures and policies, discuss options, and mediate, but it cannot give legal advice.
  • The Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR) is responsible for all aspects of student discipline. Complaints against students by SDSU faculty, staff, other students, and members of the campus community should be directed to the CSRR as soon as possible after the problem or incident.
  • Do you need dental work or a flu shot? Have issues involving alcohol or other drugs? Student Health Services provides primary care (basic medical care, pharmacy), specialty services (dermatology, eye clinic), immunization, health promotion programs, substance abuse intervention, and more. There's even an after-hours nurse line. (Learn more about health and wellness.)
  • Need a job, or help defining a future career path? Career Services offers career counseling and opportunities, a variety of resources and technology options, internships, workshops, and much more. (Learn more about career and personal development.)
  • If you are a student with special needs, Student Disability Services (SDS) will work with you to decide the right accommodation you need for course work and/or testing. Contact SDS to report any problems or concerns related to architectural barriers, transportation, or construction. (Learn more about services for students with disabilities.)
  • First-generation, low-income students get support through EOP/Ethnic Affairs' innovative outreach and retention programs that encourage them to persist towards the goal of a university degree.

If you need further assistance, or if your problem is not addressed here, contact the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Did You Know?

A letter is sometimes the most effective way to resolve an issue or send a particular message and get your ideas “heard.” If talking, using e-mail or filling out a form haven’t worked — or if you need to file a formal grievance — try writing a letter. The Office of the Ombudsman website offers valuable tips to get you started.

student writing a letter