Content Skip to content.
San Diego State University

Student Ability Success Ctr

Frequently Asked Questions

Admission to SDSU


Applying for SASC Accommodations and Services


Other Disability-related Inquiries


Test Accommodation FAQs (For SDSU Faculty)



Admission to SDSU

Q: Is there a separate admissions process to SDSU for students with disabilities?
A: No.  All students must apply through the same admissions process and meet the admissions criteria.  It is important to first visit the Admissions webpage.  There you will find information about the eligibility criteria for admission to SDSU.

Q: Where in the CSU Admissions application can I address my disability?
A: The CSU admissions application does not consider disability as part of the admission process.   For admissions purposes, SDSU takes into consideration Grade Point Average (GPA), SAT/ACT scores, and successful completion of required coursework. If you believe your disability impacted your academic profile, then contact Erica A. Aros, Interim SASC Director, at any time prior to the end of the application period.
Q: Since I have a documented disability, can SASC help me apply for admission to San Diego State University?
A: SASC does not assist individuals in applying for admission to SDSU. Once you have been admitted to SDSU, you can contact our office to initiate the application process for determining eligibility and receiving accommodations. If you believe your disability impacted your academic profile, then contact Erica A. Aros, Interim SASC Director, at any time prior to the end of the application period.

Q: My IEP waived the foreign language requirement while in high school.  Will SDSU accept this documentation and waive the foreign language requirement, or any other requirement, for admission to the university?
A: The SDSU General Catalog (2019-2020) states the following:

"If you are judged unable to fulfill a specific course requirement because of your disability, alternate college preparatory courses may be substituted for specific subject requirements. Substitutions may be authorized on an individual basis after review and recommendation by your academic adviser or guidance counselor in consultation with the director of a CSU disabled student services program. You should be aware that failure to complete courses required for admission may limit your later enrollment in certain majors, particularly those involving mathematics."

Please refer to the current General Catalog for additional information.

Q: I would like to transfer to SDSU from my community college.  However, I have been unable to meet the math requirement for GE certification.  Can SASC help me waive this requirement because of my disability?
A: Please contact Erica A. Aros, Interim SASC Director, to discuss.

Q: Does the University have specific course requirements for students with disabilities?
A: No. There are no specific course requirements for students with disabilities and the requirements for graduation are clearly listed in the General Catalog.
SASC offers a 1 unit General Studies seminar each fall semester. This seminar provides students with information to facilitate a smooth transition into SDSU. 

Applying for SASC Accommodations and Services

Q: How do I notify the university that I have a disability and need accommodations?
A: After you receive notification of your provisional admission to SDSU, or if you are currently an enrolled student at SDSU, please visit Apply to SASC to learn which forms and documentation must be submitted. Once completed forms and documentation are submitted to the Student Ability Success Center, the review process will begin and you will be contacted once eligibility has been determined.

Q: Is there a fee for services through the Student Ability Success Center office?
A: No. Services are authorized appropriate to each student's disability and provided without charge.

Q: Since I received accommodations while in high school (or at the community college), will I receive the same ones if I meet eligibility requirements with the Student Ability Success Center?
A: No, not necessarily.  The criteria for assessing disability vary among high schools, colleges, and universities.  For this reason, accommodations may vary depending on how the SASC evaluates documentation that is provided and individual student need.

Q: Will SASC accept my high school IEP or 504 Plan to demonstrate a disability?
A: No.  These documents do not provide a comprehensive assessment and are not accepted as documentation of a disability. Documentation must include raw scores, as well as subtest scores, of all previous testing. See Eligibility and Documentation Criteria

Q: Will SASC help me modify my course requirements?
A: No, SASC does not modify course, or graduation, requirements. However, depending on the severity and limitations of your disability, you may be eligible for a course substitution.

Q: How do I go about using the services offered by the Student Ability Success Center?
A: Once your eligibility for services has been determined, you will be notified by mail and email. This letter will include information regarding your next step in the eligibility process.

Other Disability-related Inquiries

Q: Does San Diego State University waive course and/or test requirements for students with disabilities?
A: No. All students must meet both the course and test requirements for graduation. In rare instances, students may petition to have a graduation requirement substituted with appropriate coursework for disability-related reasons.

Q: Is the confidentiality of a student’s records/status maintained through the Student Ability Success Center office?
A: Yes. The Student Ability Success Center does not release information to outside parties without written consent from the student. Furthermore, no record of disability status appears on any academic transcript or permanent document maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

The Student Ability Success Center practices the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which is a law that protects students' educational records and prevents the improper disclosure of these records. As an SASC student, you must sign a release of information and specify the individual you are authorizing the release of disability-related information. Unless we have your written and signed authorization, we will not disclose disability-related information to faculty, staff, or parents.

Q: How long are a student’s records maintained in the the Student Ability Success Center office?
A: Documentation of a permanent disability is maintained for five (5) years. Documentation of a temporary disability of more than three (3) months is maintained for up to one (1) year.   After this time, documents are destroyed and cannot be retrieved by the university.  Students are asked to retain copies for their own records.

Q: Are the Residence Halls accessible and available to students with disabilities?
A: Yes. When requesting on-campus housing, indicate on your housing application any special accommodations (e.g., wheelchair accessibility, doorbell and telephone signalers) you may require. Please contact the Office of Housing Administration (OHA) & Residential Education Office (REO) at (619) 594-5742 for additional information.

Q: Are there special financial aid packages, scholarships, etc. available to students with disabilities?
A: Information regarding financial assistance and a small number of scholarships specifically for students with disabilities is available from the Office of Financial Aid Office and Scholarships. You may also visit the SASC homepage, which features a link with scholarships for students with disabilities. Other resources may include the State Department of Rehabilitation and the Social Security Administration.

Q: Where do students with disabilities obtain academic advising?
A: Academic advising is available to all students at the University Academic Advising Center located in Student Services West-1551. Please visit the Office of Advising and Evaluations for additional information.